Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Leonardo and the Library

Drawing people when they don’t know I’m drawing them is my favorite hobby to do in the library, but today I broke the ice.

Let me tell you a story before I begin my experience from today.

My dad once told me years ago a story about an old well known artist. This very artist enjoyed holding a pencil in his pocket and drawing people on the streets. The people were not posing, and this artist did not look at his paper while drawing. This very old well known artist is Leonard Da Vinci.

Leonardo Da Vinci loved drawing the most grotesque faces he could find on the streets. They were not his angelic portraits of his Madonnas or angels. These people were rough looking, but real looking.




 This inspired me to start drawing people without their knowledge of me drawing them. To keep me busy during church sacrament I would get out some paper, and pencil and observe people. Children were the hardest of course because they never sit still.

They were some interesting sketches that ended up in the trash can most of the time, but I've been doing this for years now and my skill has increased. I can do it quicker and more accurate as I've had more practice and more years to understand the human portrait. I decided with my new sketch book to dedicate a page towards drawing people in the library studying.


Today, as I studied for my art history class, there was a girl sitting across the table from me very diligently studying on her laptop. She had gorgeous flowing curls, and without a minute to lose I got my supplies and my hands got busy. I sketched her out, but then I decided to surprise her with something. I sketched her again on an index card, and wrote, “Thanks for being my model: Art 117.” As she was quickly leaving I got up to tap her shoulder. As she turned I said, “You dropped this,” and walked away smoothly.


Never saw her reaction, but I quite enjoyed it. 
(I drew the very curly haired young lady on the bottom left corner)


1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea!! I'm gonna have to start doing this, too :)

    ReplyDelete